Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 1

I have been searching for something to do, someway to work out that is motivating. I want to look not fat fabulous for my step-daughter's upcoming graduation from High School. This means I have about 2 months to do SOMETHING that get me off my ass and Facebook and get in shape.

My son was in Taekwondo a year or so ago. He quit because it got highly expensive and the place decided to move far away to make it not easy to get to. His friends are taking Taekwondo at the same location as the old place that a new Master came and took over so we decided to check it out.

I stopped by the other day and actually had a very nice long conversation with Master S and talk about excited. I was so excited that I decided that I would put the redheaded kid back in it and join him as well. It is affordable and more family oriented....what not to love.

Today, was my first day. I conquered my fears and went and put a gee on and got out there with younger children that know what to do and I embarrassed myself (note to self: next time wear a shirt underneath your gee so you quit flashing the entire class) but I got out there and did it. I was quite impressed with myself in the fact that I conquered my initial fear of trying.

I have a lot of fears. Too many to count really. To name a few, I am afraid that I am too old to learn new tricks. I am afraid I am going to make that nice little Master regret trying to teach me. Let's face it I am not the Karate Kid. I am not as spry as I used to be when I was younger. I also come with more weight...more than I have ever weighed. I am afraid that I will wear out too soon and embarrass myself in front of the younger people...namely my child. I am afraid I am going to be an embarrassment to my sweet redheaded kid.

I have a lot of excitement too. I am excited that I am going to get fit. I am excited that I have a goal to work too. I am excited that I have a special time to hang with my child and do something productive for BOTH of us. I am excited that my first night went well. I learned my first form. I learned how to bow before I walk in and out. I CAN learn! This is excitement!

So now I just have to get over my fears and move on to Day 2!

No comments: